- THIS PROCESS MUST NOT BE DONE ON A MAC. Windows or Linux only.
- Updating an incorrect firmware image to a device risks damaging the device. Please follow instructions carefully as no warranty can be provided for failed firmware updates.
Tokyo 2020 OlympicsThe Tokyo 2020 Olympic Sailing Support Team Regulations requires that any electronic equipment carried on coach support RIBs does not provide certain features that come standard with WindBot coaching kits. Specifically, any wind instrumentation should not be able to log data or be able to make connections further than 100m from a coach boat. These features can be disabled by loading the "WindBot for Tokyo Olympics" firmware below.
For further information please refer to the following documents.
Firmware update process
- Download and unzip firmware using the links at the bottom of this document. Be sure to match the firmware image with the device type being updated.
- Remove the water-proof plug from the bottom of the device and plug a micro-USB cable into the Micro-USB socket. For TideBot users, remove the bottom lid of the pod for access to the USB port.
- Plug the other end of the USB cable into a Microsoft Windows or Linux computer (not Apple Mac). Observe the device power light come on.
- Within two seconds, give the power button a short press. All lights start flashing and the device will mount as a USB removable drive as follows:
- In the mounted drive, delete the file called firmware.bin.
- Drag and drop, or copy and paste, the new firmware image onto the removable drive. The firmware image is the file ending with the extension ".bin" previously extracted from the firmware zip file.
- Wait for the file copy to finish, and then unplug the USB cable. Observe the device starting up for a few seconds before it turns off.
Configuration update process
Always reformat the micro-SD card, then re-load the config.ini file and _assets folder after updating firmware. Failure to do this may result in the device not functioning correctly. You can learn more about configuration files here.
- Plug the device into USB again, this time do not press the power button and wait for the embedded micro-SD card to mount.
- Optionally, save any logs, or existing config.ini file to your computer for safekeeping.
- Format the micro-SD card as FAT32. On windows, right-click then select Format...
- Copy the _assets folder to the mounted drive from the previously extracted firmware zip file.
- Copy the config.ini file to the mounted drive from the previously extracted firmware zip file. If multiple config files are available, please copy the config that best matches your hardware specification, and rename the file on the micro-SD card as config.ini.
Firmware recovery procedure
Should a firmware update fail for any reason, then YachtBot will lock on with the power light illuminated and be unresponsive to button presses. A new firmware image can be loaded using the following procedure.
- Gently press and hold the reset button (small white pin-hole nexthave to the power socket)
- While the reset button is pressed, plug in the USB cable from your computer
- Immediately release the reset button and then press the power button once.
- Proceed to step 5) of the "Firmware update process"
The latest firmware
- YachtBot (Build 519 : 6 July 2021)
- WindBot (Build 519 : 6 July 2021)
- WindBot for Tokyo Olympics (Build 519 : 6 July 2021)
- TideBot (Build 511)
For information about what has changed in this release, please refer to the Changelog.txt file attached below.